Wednesday, January 8, 2014

write about your winter break

In the morning, I'm going to ask my students to write about their winter break.  I haven't written much over break and I'm bummed about it.  I've thought about blogging a lot, but just haven't done it.  Very disappointing, because sometimes this is the only way that I can remember what has happened in my life.

Over break, I read 3 books.

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid:  Hard Luck

I read this on the way to the Danville, IL hockey games.  I forgot to bring a book and this was in the van.  My friend made fun of me for reading a kids book, so I told her that I was reading it for my J.O.B.... and I took this picture and sent it to her to prove it.  And I told her that I might just make a diorama when I was done!


2.  Middle School Get Me Out of Here!  by James Patterson

hhhhum....  This was also in the van.  I read this on the way home.  I bought this book for Henry for Christmas.  I used to read James Patterson books all the time, but then I got bored with them.  This book was ok.  There was one mean character in the book and this character made me worry about Hayden.  How in the world is that kid going to survive middle school?  The kids are going to be mean to him and I'm going to flip out....  I seriously said the word "homeschool" out loud after I read this book.  

3.  Prisoner B-3087



This book was not in the van.  It's been in my room for about 3 months now.  Henry read it and loved it, so he put it in my room so that I would read it one day.  It's a story about a boy that survives the Holocaust.  This subject is tough for kids to read and or hear about and this author does a great job with it.  After reading this book, I looked for Schindler's List on Netflix.   It wasn't there, so I watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  That was a mistake.  ugh.  What a sad movie...

So basically,  I'm back to reading only children's books.  Oh well.  At least I'm reading.  


The boys were sick for 2 or 3 days during break.  They both had high fevers for a day or so.  This came right before the snow and the blast of cold temps, so no one begged me to take them sledding or even asked to go outside.  They are both still coughing a little, but they are going back to school tomorrow!


Since we have had 3 extra days of break, it seems like forever since we've been in school.  I've been into school for the past 2 days working on stuff.  I really wanted to clean up my classroom, but that never seems to happen.  I must love clutter or something.  I did get a bunch of stuff ready for this week though.  We have a 2 hour delay tomorrow, so this "week" is looking pretty lame.


Harrison went to bed at 8am this morning.  I'm not sure how he is going to make it through the next two days.  Everyone's sleep patterns are out of wack, including mine.  It's 1:16 am and I can't fall asleep.

I think I slept about 500 hours over break.  I really didn't do much of anything.  I even forgot about Spike.  My friend asked me about him one day and I screamed OHMYGODDDDD.  It had been 8 days.  He was very happy to see me.  I had a bag of crickets for him and I told him that I was very sorry for forgetting about him.  He gobbled them up and just glared at me.


I'm going to show this video tomorrow for fun.  I'm thinking of a writing activity to go with it.  This lady has some pretty good ideas.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, all our hard work over winter break and it may be in vain- can you believe it?!

    ReplyDelete