Saturday, February 8, 2014

Olympics

I watched the opening ceremony last night.  It was really beautiful, but I couldn't ignore the comments about Putin and his anti-gay laws.  blah...  I really love the Olympics and I want to enjoy them, but I also don't want to ignore the current civil rights movement that is happening in the world.  I read about a man that was tackled by the Russian police because he held up his rainbow pride flag during an olympic ceremony.  Hopefully, the athletes will enjoy their time in Sochi and forget about the world and all of its nonsense for awhile.  That's what sports and recreation is all about anyway.  Taking off and losing yourself in the moment.    



I watched the Canadian women play hockey this morning on MSNBC.  I've been talking to my little 3rd graders about the olympics and how women were not allowed to compete at first.  I've been showing them clips of the olympics to get them interested.  After we watched the American bobsled team take off, I showed them a short clip of Cool Runnings.   They really loved that.  I'm going to introduce them to Apolo Anton Ohno, Mary Lou Retton, Muhammad Ali, and Usain Bolt next week.    I'm also going to introduce them to Inge Sorenson.  She was 12 years old when she won a bronze medal in the olympic games.

Harrison has a meet today and Henry and Hayden are playing hockey in Evansville.  Hope my Streib boys have a good day competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment