Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February

A couple of years ago, I gave every student a box to decorate on February 1st for our big V-day party on the 14th.  For 2 weeks, during their free time, the students could write letters or notes to anyone in class and drop them into their friend’s box.  They LOVED it.  The kids were writing non-stop and one day, this kid pointed out that another kid’s box was kinda empty.  So, she talked to several of her friends and by the end of the day, that kid had a ton of notes.  That act of kindness made me smile for several days.  On V-day, the kids had so much fun opening up their little boxes and reading all of their notes.  It was a V-day to remember!

I have to confess.  I really don’t like V-day.  Not any part of it.  Some people are very sad and lonely and this day just makes it worse.  stupid hallmark.


But, I’m bringing back the V-day box project this year.  So, when we go back to school, the boxes are there and all ready to decorate.  I hope that something similar happens this year that makes a not so popular kid happy.



I plan on setting up a writing station with lots of cool art supplies and amazing writing tools to make it fun.  I will need to post a list of fun V-day words and buy some stickers.  Who knew that 4th graders loved stickers so much?  Wow!    



I’m ready for this ice storm to be O-V-E-R!! 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really great.

    I do not dislike V Day, but I do dislike those chalky candy hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those candy hearts and their weird chalky taste. I did love the valentine’s day movie with Ashton Kutcher. Jennifer and Susanne went with me last year. It was great fun.

    ReplyDelete