Thursday, April 2, 2015

My fall from grace

I visited a former student today at lunch. The secretary at her new school asked me if I had a background check on file. I said, well, how updated does this check need to be?  I just resigned from this district 3 months ago. She didn't know what to do with me. I offered some more information and told her that this was more than likely going to ruin this kid's day if she didn't let me see her.  Then I asked her where the cafeteria was and walked out of the office. About 10 minutes later, i had to go back to the office because I couldn't find the kid!   The secretary had to walk me around the building. I ran into a few teachers that I knew and about 5 former students, but still no luck with the actual kid that I was supposed to be visiting!  

I finally met up with her about 20 minutes into the ordeal. I talked to her teacher for awhile and then chatted with my little friend. We caught up on all of the big life events and promised to hang out at the upcoming Tri North track meets. Her sister is running track with Henry. This kid is unique. She identifies herself as two spirited which is an amazing way to describe her. I feel pretty special that I got to spend time with her. 



I went to dinner with a friend tonight and ran into 5 or 6 more teachers and administrators.  This is nerve wracking. Unsettling. I don't like it. I guess I just need to stay home or something. 

1 comment:

  1. I like this post a lot. I have some of these feelings sometimes.

    I think it's neat that you connected with that cool kiddo.

    ReplyDelete