Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Recess Duty

I have recess duty every single day.  My teaching partner doesn't like to go outside and I love to be outside.  She has cafeteria duty every day.  I would die if I had to be in the cafeteria every day.  So today I was outside monitoring the 4th, 5th, and 6th graders while walking and talking with my Fitbit buddy.  He's pretty cool.  We took a pic today.


He has a pretty fancy Fitbit.  Way cooler than mine.


I think we were on our third lap around the playground when I saw a parent of one of my students talking to our Playwork's coach and another teacher.  I walked over to the fence and asked what was going on.  This parent has caused a few problems in the past and she's not even allowed in the building anymore.  Her child had left the playground and was in the street with her mom.  The mom told us that she had called the police because she was sick of all the bullying.  I told her that the student that her child had been complaining about the most had been with me for the entire recess.  She was walking with us and telling me all about how she used to live in New York.  The mom said, "of course you are walking with her!  You always take her side!"  I was like, whaaattttt?  And then got a hold of myself.  We somehow quickly got 150 kids into the building before the police arrived and went on lockdown for about 30 minutes.

Super stressful day.  The morning was pretty awful as well.  One 6th grader and I battled to the death over an assignment.  I called his mom twice and then he stomped out of the room.  

I've been reading a ton of articles on charter schools lately.  One of the biggest complaints that I have read, is that they are taking money away from the "real" public schools and also that they are only for the rich and famous.  Our school is no where near rich or famous.  I think we are about 95% free and reduced lunch.  I also think that giving parents the opportunity to fill out an application to get their child accepted somewhere is pretty exciting.  I bet these parents enjoyed the process and I know that our K-3 program has a waiting list.  I'm still on the fence about Charter Schools even though I work at one.  I'm going to spend some more time this summer reading about the pros and cons.  

In other news, I saw this Lamborghini driving around Bloomington today.  I wonder if the driver went to a public or private school?  






1 comment:

  1. Great post. What a wild day. You do great work for your kids, as always.

    ReplyDelete