Friday, March 9, 2012

Arizona Diamondbacks

One of my favorite MLB games of all time was when Mark Grace took the mound for the Diamondbacks.  Mark Grace played first base for the Cubs for like 17 years or something and was one of my favorite players.   In this particular game, the D-backs were killing the Dodgers and Grace was begging the manager to take the mound.  He finally gave in and let him.  Grace was pitching about 70 mph, but was throwing strikes.

The funniest part of the whole thing was when Grace decided to copy Mike Fetters weird pitching movements.  Fetters would whip his head around like a maniac right before he pitched the ball and stare down the batter.  Grace did this on the mound and everyone loved it.  I wish Grace would have stayed with the Cubs, but the D-backs won the World Series the year he joined the team, so he did the right thing.  I guess.  




4 comments:

  1. Great story! I love to hear about goofy stuff like this. Guys having fun on the job in professional sports. Sometimes it's all a bit too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love Mark Grace and wish he would have stayed with the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute picture of Mark Grace. I wonder what he's doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the name Diamondbacks is fun and interesting and everything, but it's too long. It forces the team to have jerseys that say things like: "D-Backs."

    It's too bad they didn't name them the Snakes. Perhaps even the Rattlesnakes, or Rattlers, would have been better. I saw a Diamondback from about one foot away next to the pool in Arizona once. I'm lucky to be alive.

    ReplyDelete