Monday, March 5, 2012

San Francisco Giants

Did you know that Randy Johnson played his final season for the Giants?  Johnson was one of the greatest pitchers of all time and he had one of the greatest nicknames too, The Big Unit.  Go ahead, google it, true story.

Johnson also played for the Indianapolis Indians back in the day.  I love going to Indian games.  If you enjoy going to Victory Field, you should call me this summer because I will go with you!

Okay back to Johnson.  So, the one thing that I remember most about Johnson is the day he hit the bird.  He was pitching for the Arizona Diamondbacks and playing against the San Francisco Giants.  I was actually watching the game when it happened!  If you haven't seen this video, I must warn you, it's pretty graphic. Johnson threw a 95 mph fastball and the bird flew right in front of the batter.



Johnson pitched a perfect game at the age of 40 against the Atlanta Braves.  (I was watching this game too.)  Do you people know how amazing this is?   At the time, it was only the 17th perfect game ever in the history of baseball and he was 40 years old!

7 comments:

  1. omg, that bird exploded. I like this guy, Randy Johnson, but I remember he was a little callous about killing that bird. Still, great pitcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way am I watching that!!! But, I am excited to be reminded of Randy Johnson-- always a top recruit on our "Backyard Baseball" computer game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor bird. I feel bad for liking that clip. I love the Giants' ballpark. Randy Johnson also had a great TV commercial where he was in a snowball fight and caused a bunch of property damage. I can't remember what the commercial was for (the catch was that it's a bad idea to have a snowball fight with Randy Johnson but a good idea to buy whatever they were trying to sell).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like anyone who throws a perfect game against the Braves (or the Cardinals). Oops! I think I remember you're a Cardinals' fan, but it still is a true statement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like people that kill birds. Birds are evil... they spread disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cardinals fan? hell to the NO.... Go CUBS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rumor around baseball circles is that Randy Johnson was taking PEDs (steriods) later in his career and during that no-hitter he threw. I remember when he was a rookie playing for the Montreal Expos. He was soon traded to the Seattle Mariners, but those first few seasons he was like Nuke Laloosh in Bull Durham ... hitting mascots in the head and breaking the backstop and all that by throwing about a hundred miles an hour with no idea where it was going.

    ReplyDelete