Saturday, June 22, 2013

This Boy


I am missing this crazy, Streib boy a lot right now.  I've talked to him a ton, so that's keeping me sane.  He'll be home on Wednesday, just in time to spend the last night out at the lake with us. 



He has won the heart of his little cousin, Emma.  I've been told that whatever car Hayden is riding in, that is where this little girl wants to be!

Henry is so excited about playing in his championship game today.  His team won first place last year and he is dying to bring home another first place trophy.  Rained Out 

I'm writing a unit about rocks for my little third graders.  I have some pretty fun ideas.  Our final project is going to be a story about three rocks, one from each of the rock types, igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary. I picked the Schist rock from the metamorphic group because we will get to say Schist A LOT!

Idea #1  These three guys have been friends for a long time, but the metamorphic rock, the Schist, (see fun right?) and the igneous rock, the Obsidian, are going to butt heads a little.  You see, these two guys think that they are greatest, shiniest rocks around and they both want to be in charge, so level headed Mr. Sedimentary needs to find a way to get these two hot heads to chill out.


Idea #2  Mr. Metamorphic and Mr. Igneous are bff's.  They go to Rushmore Elementary School, and they are super shiny, so everyone wants to be friends with them.  One day, a new kid arrives. (uh oh) His name is Mr. Sedimentary.  He's pretty cool, but not very shiny.  He is however, a really amazing football player, (how to get the boys involved in this game called WRITING) and really wants to make a new friend.  Mr. Sedimentary moved in right across the street from Mr. Igneous and they play football after school, a lot.  Mr. Metamorphic lives about a mile away and doesn't see his best friend, Mr. Igneous, much after school.  Mr. Sedimentary and Mr. Igneous are becoming really great friends.  A big school project is coming up and Mr. Igneous doesn't know who to pick for his partner.  Mr. Metamorphic is getting a little jelly of the situation.

Idea #3  Amazing Third Grade Student makes up their own story about I, M, and S.


I'm going to provide a basic outline for our story to my students and little by little, they are going to write the story.  Then, I'm going to get one or two published by Shutterfly or Snapfish or some place cool.  Some students will illustrate and some will really get into the story writing, so we will all come out winners in the end.  I can't wait for the students to pick the names of these three rocks.  This will probably be the most entertaining part of the process for me.  Of course, we will have to vote!  I'm gonna throw a few names into the pile.  Maybe, Pluto.  Poor Pluto, he's not even a real planet anymore, just a floating rock.

So, I'm really supposed to be working on my ASSIGNMENT right now, but I wanted to blog, so I merged the two.  Schist, I have to get to work!!!

4 comments: